About Me

I'm a 30-something girl shaping my life to be what I've always wanted. I've been incredibly fortunate to have never dealt with any major mental health issues despite both parents having many. I can't believe the luck and take none of it for granted. I hope to reach out to others who may live the same life.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

First Week

This week, I began my new job as a coordinator. In that week, I've been put into things I haven't really been trained on, given a staff that's been there quite a while and knows a lot more than I do, and bitten by a rat only to spend the day getting sent to the doctor, who promptly gave me a band aid. Needless to say, I've been a little frustrated. I hate, with a passion, not knowing what I'm doing. I generally struggle with change in that way, I would rather feel more competent.

So I floated through Monday and Tuesday and by Wednesday, I started realizing how overwhelmed I was. And I started realizing how home sick I was. So, over lunch, I had a little tear-jerking moment, and was glad to have Sevon to talk me down from my moment of weakness.

Thursday gave me more confidence and Friday was the day I was bitten and pretty much got nothing done. So I had Saturday off, and took the day to do laundry and then some sun bathing by the pool. This was the first day I really got to rest, and it was much needed.

Then Sunday came and I got to meet the teenagers that I will be working with most likely until they graduate high school, at least in some cases. They are all good kids, and I'm very excited to be part of the program. Their vocabulary is actually better than most adults, as is their ability to hold a meaningful conversation. I couldn't be happier with this part of my job. I had always said I'd love to start a non profit organization with kids just like this and work with them on personal development as well as learning about conservation. With this job, I've found a program already in existence that is very similar, if not exactly what I wanted to do and I've found it to be falling right in my lap. I even got hugs after my first meeting with them. I'm feeling like all will be well after all. I just wish all was well a little closer to home.

No comments: