About Me

I'm a 30-something girl shaping my life to be what I've always wanted. I've been incredibly fortunate to have never dealt with any major mental health issues despite both parents having many. I can't believe the luck and take none of it for granted. I hope to reach out to others who may live the same life.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

On Ko Kret Island

Over the first weekend, we were able to do some sight-seeing around Bangkok. How did we get around with that many people? We took a really big air-conditioned bus. And while we were on the bus, it was mandatory that we sit with someone who was a Thai Graduate student and get to know them. I chose to sit with Phen (sounds like Pen), who is the girl in the picture with me. While on this hour long trip, we talked about all the places she was able to travel while in the U.S. studying for a year in Wisconsin. She's been to more of the U.S. than I have! I asked her to teach me to count to ten in Thai, but by the time I made it to five, I could see I needed to practice first.

We couldn't help but notice there were so many dogs just roaming around, and when I asked, I was told that they are not owned by anyone, they are just like beggars. I was also told the same thing about the elephants in the city. Many dogs had mange, a disease that makes their fur fall out. This one had an exceptionally bad case of it. I apologize for the picture being awkward, I wasn't able to fix it.












As always the bathrooms were interesting to me. I realize how much I've discussed bathrooms, but I've never seen such different ways for a normal bodily function to occur. I thought these were interesting. This is how you would write "women" and "men", respectively.














Here is the general set up for the bathrooms (at least for the females) in Thailand. You stand on the sides and when you're done, you don't flush, you take the bowl, dip it in the tub of water, and dump it down. The pressure will flush it by itself. No toilet paper, better bring your own.










After this, we got on a boat and drove for about 3 minutes until we got to the island. Everything was so well manicured and groomed, we had to get a picture. The skirt I am wearing is one I bought in the street market. I am told now by my Indian roommate that there are many like that in India. It seems the two countries are similar in many ways.





Here is a good view of the front and of the inside of this Wat (Buddhist Temple). Always take your shoes off when entering a Wat and never point your feet at the Buddha.
This can be a difficult task when you are trying to get a picture in front of it with this many people.
We headed off to the markets where there was food EVERYWHERE. Often the Thai Graduate students would buy different kinds of food and have us try it. I don't remember anything being bad, or distasteful. Now here's the environmental part of this particular entry. Check this out! These are made from left over two-liter soda bottles. The shapes have been cut to pop out and hand painted. How cool is that?















More to come on Ko Kret

No comments: